Monday 16 June 2008

Unofficial exclusive – James Lowes is new Warrington coach.


After witnessing another Warrington win for the second week in a row, I have to say I am rather impressed with how the team have taken to life with James Lowes. And, unsurprisingly, I don’t think I’m the only one. After the game yesterday against Hull KR, Lord “Call me Doug” Hoyle was seen on the pitch shaking Lowes’ hand and patting him on the back. Maybe I’m jumping the gun, but it’s not everyday a club chairman walks onto the pitch after the game. So while it may seem Lowes will get the job, which won’t be announced until the local rag go to print, is it the right choice?

Possibly, maybe we should give him until the end of the season and then see where we stand. Then bring in a coach who Jimmy can work under, learn more under a coach who has proved himself, and then give him back the top job. I still have questions about his mentors and how Lowes will cope being surrounded by players with high reputations. But so far he is proving his worth. Unusually, he has a relaxed attitude for a coach and isn’t fazed with the pressure of coaching a potentially successful team.

But while performances have improved tenfold, there are still improvements to be done. Concentration and playing for eighty minutes are still one of them. Against Harlequins and Hull KR we conceded tries on the back of some terrific rugby. In London, we allowed Quins to claw back into the game while being a few scores ahead. And against KR, we lost concentration after fifteen minutes of the most organised rugby I’ve seen us play this season. But I’m not pointing the finger at Lowes on this one, don’t get me wrong. This is a problem Warrington has ALWAYS had, and is probably something we fans should be used to. It is something Lowes has to address though if he believes he is capable to take on the reins as head coach of a very valuable, if underachieving, rugby league club.

By the way, I’ve no idea what an unofficial exclusive is, but I just thought it was a different way of, not so much spreading a rumour based on possible truths, but predicting something that has a high chance of happening.

No comments: