Monday 16 June 2008

Have the RFL actually made a success of England RL?


I’ll admit I’m very suspicious of what the RFL try to do within our game with regard to changes. If I’m honest, can you blame me? With almost everything else they make another fine mess, so for once you’ll have to forgive me for changing my tune a little here. With regards to the change from Great Britain to England, I think the RFL are starting to get things right.

I’ll start with a major positive. Visit www.englandrl.co.uk to view a very brief but reasonable web site about the sports newest national side. It contains history about England in rugby league dating back to 1905 as well as explaining why the change from GB to England has occurred. There is also a blog from Tony Smith (well, more of an article with a lot a quotes) as well as upcoming fixtures (nothing about the fixture with Ireland) and even games for the little ones (which I cannot get the hang of). So to me, this part of the conversion looks great. It’s well presented, easy enough to navigate, very user friendly and there is even desktop wallpapers and a screen saver to download.

So with the launch of the web site comes something more important, to the fans at least, and that is the kit. What will the team will be wearing come October? The answer is, a St George’s cross above the sponsor on the chest. For one year only it will include the world cup logo, but that doesn’t mean it looks bad. In my opinion it is a fairly reasonable, eye pleasing piece of merchandise. Although I will probably have to see it in the flesh before I purchase one, and no doubt I will. Made by PUMA again with the backing of Gillette, it seems these partnerships with the RFL are improving year by year.

On the field however, there is little surprise as to who the captain will be. After taking over from Paul Sculthorpe after, err...zero games in charge in 2005, Peacock has lead by example and I have no qualms about his selection during the world cup. Providing he stays fit that is.

And finally, the less important bit. It has been announced, with some worry by yours truly, that a specially recorded anthem will be released before the world cup. The fact it is specially recorded and not just a cover worries me in the sense that a) what do the RFL know about music? b) How much input have they had? And c) how big a flop will it be? But surprisingly they have hired someone who most people would have heard of and who is a creditable young singer in his genre of music. Jonathan Ansell, known for being one of G4 (and its not the geek, fat one or the queer). The song will be called Hearts of England. Not exactly similar to Three Lions, but will no doubt (I hope) provide excitement and bring out emotion for fans on match days.

No comments: